24 August 2011

Wednesday 24/8

I woke up, feeling very blurry but that I had probably gotten away with it.  Chris and I managed to meet at 11 for breakfast, which turned out to just mean coffee.  He was that broken.

We took the gondola up to Skyline Queenstown, the place where people do bungee jumping and similar activities.  We were there for other reasons.  Obviously.  There is a large 'centre' up there where the views of Queenstown and the surrounding lakes and mountains are extraordinary.  We spent a fair while doing that with the tourists (pah! we're locals now!).  We were mainly there to go on the luge however.  This was just the right level of excitement and physical exertion for our suffering minds and bodies.  There were two courses to try: the first 'beginner', the second 'fun' or maybe not.  It was fun stuff.

We then went to meet Jim for lunch, and wanted something rejuvinating.  We went for a set menu at a Japanese restaurant; noodle soup was clearly the thing but with a couple of other nice courses for luck.  Again, this is what a day should look like.  I said 'see you later' to Chris, who had been a worthy Queenstown companion, and went back to Jim's to pack.

This I did and then took a final walk down the hill to his work.  It was quite gutting looking over the town and the lakes and the mountains for what might be the last time.  I went into his office to the usual confused looks from the people working there and we headed down the road to the bus stop.  We chatted for a while, waiting for the bus to the airport to come.  We talked about his plans for the next year or so, it was a pretty surreal moment.  It had been a really great three weeks and I felt like I was living something really good behind.  I obviously was: my brother.  But also, a place full of fun and friendly people making the most of a brief period of a great lifestyle.

No comments: