6 August 2011

Saturday 6/8/11 - Another day on the slopes

Jim went into work early and I had a read of Beginning Android Games - living the dream!  I got some bits for lunch from the supermarket and met up with everyone at 8:30.  Somehow with getting skis and passes and taking the bus, it wasn't until 11am that we managed to get skiing.

Again the conditions were poor to start with but we were still having a laugh.  Dad and Lesley had a break pretty early because they weren't enjoying it while we went for a couple more runs.  At which point the sun came out and as we got on the lift again, we thought we were in luck.  This proved perhaps not to be the case when the lift then stopped halfway for about 20 minutes and we started to hear sirens.  It had been really windy, we heard on the lifties' radios mention of 80 km/h, but we thought nothing of it, and were mainly interested in how cool this made everything look.

Several skidoos headed to the lift and guys got off in full safety gear and with paramedic kits - way to inspire confidence.  They checked that we were ok, which was the perfect time to reply with "I could really use a beer", or similar.  One of them then scaled a pylon that the lift was suspended from and examined it worriedly while the lift was moved incredibly slowly up the mountain.  After a good 30/40 minutes we made it to the top, pretty cold!

We then headed to the cafe thing to meet Dad and Lesley and warm up for a few minutes at which point we found out that the problem was apparently the cable coming off the lift.  Hmm.  Dad seemed more worried than we were - we were told this happens 'all the time'.  Hmm, confidence again?

Dad and Lesley headed back while Jim and I had what was a great afternoon of skiing/boarding in Jim's case.  We took the bus home in an even more militaristic vehicle than usual and I sat to write this blog a  bit and read my book.  But what I really wanted to do was ... sleep.  I think the tiredness is no longer  jetlag and either not eating enough for a day in the mountains or being simply really lame.

We went for dinner at six at a nice bar/restaurant (The Cow) which was either Victorian or pretending to be - unusual for out here.  We had good spaghetti and pizza, those being the two things available.  Dad explained that he had always been one to play on the safe side, as had his own Dad.  This resonated with me, and now I can blame those I directly descend from for my inability to make a decision, to set my own course or to enjoy life, which is pretty sweet.  Dad did say however, that he has eaten Oxo cubes
whole, which we agreed must have taken decisiveness.  I will try this at my next opportunity.

D&L took the courtesy bus back to their hotel at 9:15 and I was glad to come home and promptly pass out.

No comments: