10 September 2011

Wednesday 31/08

We all managed to get together on the sofa at about midday.  I'd slept reasonably well despite some crazy DIY going on somewhere upstairs.  We are all feeling obviously very fuzzy, but it was clear that I had largely got away with it.  We pieced together recollections of the evening before.

Lloyd and I took a tram to the City Hall for dim sum.  This is a cool place to go for it; it is well known because the food is brought round on trollies and the room has large chandeliers and I guess a colonial feel.  I was here on my last trip, which was the first time I had dim sum.  As I didn't really know what I was eating at the time, I struggled in the years after to recall what had made it so memorably delicious.

When the food came, it turned out that their food was similar to the dim sum I had subsequently had, just done with a lot more skill.  We ordered too much, but thanks to us arriving so close to the 3pm end-of-dim-sum-time, they simply didn't bother to bring the last few dishes, leaving me on the right side of regurgitating last night's gin.

On the tram back, it became clearer still that I was really going to miss Hong Kong again, mainly for the fact that it is so incredibly bustling.  Everywhere is totally full of people and activity, the details seemingly constantly changing, and with a healthy dose of weirdness thrown in.  The example that sticks in my mind being the shop round the corner from Lloyd's that sells anything deer-related that they can get their hands on - antlers, foetuses, digestive system stones; if i could read chinese I would probably find that the remainder was wronger still.

We had decided to more or less write the day off (thought City Hall Dim Sum was something I had really wanted to do).  We could have gone to Macau but it would have been risky.  Back at the apartment, we instead watched the rest of Inception and ate chilli.   Turns out it's not a film you can watch in sections, especially with a brain as furry as mine was that day.

I suggested a game of Abalone to try and resolve this somewhat.  Did I mention this game before?  Totally addictive.

I packed my bags and went to bed.  That's it, then.

No comments: